14 Sep The Africa Union Commissions CARMMA Plus Partners’ Meeting
CARMMAis an initiative of the African Union Commission that aimed to curb the continentally-high pregnancy-related deaths and child mortality, to promote and advocate for renewed and intensified implementation of the 2006 Maputo Plan of Action (MPoA). The CARMMA campaign is designed to use policy dialogue, advocacy and community mobilization to enlist political commitment, increase resources and societal change in support of MNCH. CARMMA was launched in 2009 with an evaluation conducted in 2019. CARMMA Plus builds on CARMMA and is based on the recommendation from CARMMA evaluation, consultation meetings with RECs and partners and latest Regional and Global commitments such as the Africa Agenda 2063, the SDG’s, the Universal Health Coverage by 2030 and other RMNCAH strategies.
The CARMMA Plus partners’ meeting included some of the organisations that work with CARMMA activities and assist in the prioritization of RMNCAH. The strong partnerships established at various levels (country and regional) has helped in the domestication of the RMNCAH agenda, within member states.
What was the Objective of the Meeting?
- To strengthen coordination mechanisms between partners, and the CARMMA Plus campaign team.
- To sensitize partners on the CARMMA Plus campaign and its accountability partnership framework.
- To mobilize resources for the implementation of the CARMMA Plus campaign and its accountability partnership framework.
- To identify areas of collaboration based on AUC CARMMA Plus 3-year work plan
What were some of the key take-aways?
- The introduction of an RMNCAH Task Force on Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health to amongst others, prepare reviews and reports, as well coordinate the Mama Afrika Awards
- Collaboration amongst partners to achieve RMNCAH targets.
Who attended the workshop?
The meeting was attended by the Africa REACH and CARMAA Plus Secretariats and representatives from the following organisations:
- World Health Organisation
- Nutrition International
- Pathfinder International
- Mothers 2 Mothers
- FP 2030
- Child Survival Action
- The partners were encouraged to identify areas of collaboration based on AUC CARMMA Plus 3 year work plan.
- Resource mobilization for the implementation of the CARMMA Plus campaign and its accountability partnership framework